Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm just me: wife to Mike for 9 years, mom to three great kids I can hug and kiss every day and one babe I can't wait to hold in my arms again one day soon. I'm always looking to improve my faith life and be a better wife and mother.

Previous Posts

Credits

Design and layout by Design in Reflection Photo by Intuitivmedia


title.jpg (22K)

whiny baby tales

The Mommy is bored...the kids are bored...the Daddy works too much. What's a family to do???

Pyzam Family Sticker Toy
Get your own Family Sticker Maker & MySpace Layouts.













Friday, June 09, 2006

oh baby...you're SO gonna get grounded one of these days!!!!

Oh my word, are we in for some Trouble with this little guy! LOL Had my appointment for the non stress test (the nurse hooks me up to a fetal heart monitor to listen to his heart HOPING it will increase while he wiggles away in there, as well as another monitor to check for any contractions, of which there were little to none today). Well, baby Zachary decided that he was NOT going to play nicely today…normally this test takes about ½ an hour, I was in there for well over 1 ½ hours just trying to get something on the printout! Finally the nurse took what we did have over to the OB on call and Zachary was deemed fine, but non-reactive enough to be sent for a biophysical profile!




Never having had one of those, I had to look it up online! LOL Here’s the scoop:




What is a biophysical profile?




A detailed ultrasound to observe your baby's body movements, muscle tone (flexing of the arms and legs), and breathing movements (the baby's ability to move his chest muscles and diaphragm), and the amount of amniotic fluid surrounding him.




A non-stress test to assess whether your baby's heart rate changes when he's moving. For this, you lie on your left side. A technician straps two devices to your belly: One monitors your baby's heartbeat and movement; the other records contractions in your uterus. The technician listens to and watches your baby's heartbeat on an electronic screen.




What do the results mean?




Each of the five components — body movements, muscle tone, breathing movements, amniotic fluid, and heartbeat — is assigned a score of either 0 (abnormal) or 2 (normal). These scores are added up for a total score ranging from 0 to 10. In general, a total score of 8 or 10 is normal, 6 is considered borderline, and below 6 is worrisome.










The initial fears were pretty high, we found out Matthew had died right there in Penrose’s ultrasound room. Lucky for me, having just listened to Zachary for 1 ½ hours, and feeling him squirm a little bit, I was able to keep talking myself into “he’s fine, he’s just being stubborn, the doctor is just doing her job…nothing is wrong”. And thankfully it worked and was the right mantra!
Zachary is VERY stubborn. The ultrasound tech giggled at him the whole 45 minutes she was trying to get all the scores and measurements done. Even she had to wiggle him a bit. LOL I guess little Zach has a bit more of Mommy in him than we thought!




As of today, I am 32 weeks 4 days pregnant, and Zachary himself is measuring at 34 weeks 4 days gestation, a full 2 weeks ahead of the game. He weighed in at FIVE pounds 4 ounces!!!!! I think we’re having a giant instead of a baby next month! I asked when babies are supposed to turn head down and start to engage as Zachary has never stayed in the same position for more than a couple of hours in the past few months…case in point today he is breach, his head is in the left side of my ribs and his feet are hanging low in my bladder. Silly boy. No one is worried he’s still wiggling everywhere, I guess it’s closer to 38 or 39 weeks that they want him to stay head down…but there are tons of babies that flip right before delivery. I have a feeling this will be one of those babies…




Anyway, that’s our update! LOL Next appt is another non stress test followed by an OB visit next Friday. Who knows, if Zachary keeps up his antics, we may have yet another ultrasound / biophysical profile then too! LOL

posted by Kerry @ 1:30 PM  

2 Comments:

  • At 10:43 PM, June 10, 2006, Blogger gail said…

    See I am goofy, I didn't realize he had a name! I am so excited! I wish I were closer! I would love to take his picture!!!!!!

     
  • At 10:44 AM, June 11, 2006, Blogger Kerry said…

    You're not goofy...we're still "trying it out" but so far Zachary is sticking!

    Anytime you're down this way you're more that welcome to take his picture! Ok, he needs to be BORN first, but you know. LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home