Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm just me: wife to Mike for 9 years, mom to three great kids I can hug and kiss every day and one babe I can't wait to hold in my arms again one day soon. I'm always looking to improve my faith life and be a better wife and mother.

Previous Posts

Credits

Design and layout by Design in Reflection Photo by Intuitivmedia


title.jpg (22K)

whiny baby tales

The Mommy is bored...the kids are bored...the Daddy works too much. What's a family to do???

Pyzam Family Sticker Toy
Get your own Family Sticker Maker & MySpace Layouts.













Tuesday, July 25, 2006

first doctor visit

Had our first pediatrician appt yesterday, she wanted to check him out herself since he saw the on call Ped at the hospital.




Birth stats: weight 8 pounds 4 ounces, 20 inches long, head 14.25 inches. Five days old stats: weight 7 pounds 11 ounces, 21 inches long, head 14.25 inches. We talked about how big he could have been had we not induced, she said easily 10 ½ pounds! LOL I am SO glad we induced!




His arm is getting better slowly. Not sure I shared this yet, at birth everything was fine, but because I was GBS positive and didn't have time to get much of the antibiotics in before delivery the nursery nurses had to draw blood for cultures. Poor Zachary got my veins, although you can see them, there’s not much hope at ever finding them with a needle. Poor baby. Anyway, Mike was with him while they did his bath and all that in the nursery and told me that they used tourniquets on his upper and lower arms trying to find a vein to draw from…well it seems that they were a bit to aggressive on his left arm and he’s got a bit of damage and a lot of pain in trying to use that arm. His Ped is hopeful that he’ll regain full use of it, he’s already making great progress. We are to massage it as he’ll allow, keep it free for him to use as much as he will, and have him grasp our fingers often to regain the strength he’s lost in his hand. He’s doing well at moving it except from the shoulder (like if you were to flap it like a wing…that hurts still). If he’s still in pain and not using it by his next appt, I’ll be asking for a referral to a pediatric orthopedist and checking into physical therapy as well. I’m a wee bit pissed at the hospital, I understand they had to draw his blood and he’s a hard stick, but damn. He was an HOUR old. I’m really praying he’s not going to have long term issues with his arm from this.




Other than that, life with Zachy is going well. His jaundice is improving, he’s been on the Bili blanket for 3 days now, his highest level came back at 16.7 (on Sunday) and tomorrow we’ll possibly do his last check. Hoping the Bili blanket is gone by the weekend! It’s not that hard to use but it’s just going to be so nice to snuggle a baby that isn’t plugged into the wall again!




We gave him a bath last night, he was fussy in the evening probably from the long doctor appt, the Bili check and the heat. Anyway…we found out that this boy LOVES to have his head rubbed and washed! LOL Nice to know what will calm him down in an instant! He is sleeping pretty well at night, has about an hour of fussy time around 2 AM, falls back to sleep around 3 or so, then sleeps until after 6 AM. Diaper change and feeds then and sleeps until nearly 8. I can live with that! Right now I’m not going to bed until after midnight, but I’m not exhausted either. Life is just good!

posted by Kerry @ 8:35 AM  

2 Comments:

  • At 10:28 PM, July 25, 2006, Blogger gail said…

    He is so amazing and so are you! CONGRATS AGAIN!!!!!!

     
  • At 9:41 AM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Just Me said…

    I am so beyond thrilled for your family! Welcome baby Zach, your mommy and daddy have been waiting a long time to meet you.

    Congrats and best wishes from our family to yours.

    Kim

     

Post a Comment

<< Home